Welcome to the School Readiness to
All children are born
ready to learn,
BUT not all children
arrive at school ready to
1 in 20 children enter kindergarten
skills they need to learn.
What is school readiness
- The child's ability to meet the task demands at school
- The child's ability to benefit from the educational activities provided by the school
Children who start school
not ready to learn
are at a disadvantage, and often never catch
up. The degree to which a child is ready to learn
school predicts how well they will do at school.
How do we measure school
readiness to learn?
With the EARLY DEVELOPMENT
The EDI can…
- Report on populations of children in different communities
- Monitor populations of children over time
- Predict how children will do in
The EDI cannot...
- Provide a clinical diagnosis