Welcome to the School Readiness to
All children are born
ready to learn,
BUT not all children
arrive at school ready to
1 in 4 children enter kindergarten
skills they need to learn.
What is school readiness
- The child's ability to meet the task demands at school
- The child's ability to benefit from the educational activities provided by the school
Children who start school
not ready to learn
are at a disadvantage, and often never catch
up. The degree to which a child is ready to learn
school predicts how well they will do at school.
How do we measure school readiness to learn?
With the EARLY DEVELOPMENT INSTRUMENT (EDI)
The EDI can…
- Report on populations of children in different communities
- Monitor populations of children over time
- Predict how children will do in
The EDI cannot...
- Provide a clinical diagnosis